Wednesday 4 April 2012

Don't look ahead there's stormy weather

Santigold "Disparate Youth"

Fashion phobias. They sound ridiculous, and the reality is that they are in actual fact just that, ridiculous. I mean how can any one person fear a harmless item of clothing? Who would succumb to such none existent pressures? Ahem Fashion finger pointing aside, I am one of these people. Some things I just cannot get on with, the trouser-phobia is slowly waning, but I cannot tackle the ill-fitting, ill-fated women wearing trousers of the world, so until then the phobia still rages on…

I’m a thinker , an over thinker, and just as I can so easily think myself into one of my own (in my opinion) awesome ideas, I can think myself out of something, for all the misplaced illogical reasons possible. (Again, case in point: trousers) So it’s no wonder that in my head, the humble blazer proves itself to be such a sartorial challenge.

In typical British tradition, the weather has thrown us a curve ball by withdrawing the tasty treat of springtime sunshine, and placed us back in the naughty corner along with the dark grey clouds that that loom overhead. Which is why I feel now is a good time to discuss jackets, or in my instance the lack thereof. 

I have a friend who shall remain nameless for the sake of her own awesomeness, she needs no more praise in my appreciation of her ability to pull of the blazer look to great effect... It turns me green with envy! In my opinion I am broad, and so any added emphasis on the shoulders fills me with dread. But the blazer is a perfect go to in times of coat wearing indecisiveness. Perched on the shoulder cape-like it won't interfere with a killer dress, worn with denim, it instantly smartens things up, lightweight or woollen, patterned or plain, nude or bright there is a blazer for every occasion, or so I am told.







Pictures courtesy of Fashion Toast's Rumi Neely, Wayne Tippetts' Street Style Aesthetic and Mossy with the hubs via Grazia


Olivia Palermo is another regular on the street style scene, who is rarely snapped without a blazer of sorts, be it bouclĂ©, silk or cropped, but I find it hard to want to give her any more page space than she already accrues, albeit for a very well presented, beautifully haired, connected specimen of a woman.

I am fond of the nude/light coloured blazers in particular, they look so crisp and fresh. However, a zingy pop of colour via a blazer to a simple 'jeans and t-shirt' outfit would have it's merits.

Here are my pick of the best:

The nude blazer £60 Warehouse 


The printed blazer River Island £45 via Asos


The colour pop blazer £39.99 Zara


The 'go-to' blazer £55 Oasis



No-one said this fashion thing was going to be easy, and so I guess this is another hurdle along road...

What's your fashion phobia? The item you wish you could, but just can't work into your wardrobe?

KDx

No comments:

Post a Comment